You Know You've Been Watching Too Much Now and Again When...
(AKA You Know You're In N&A Withdrawal When...)
The following were concocted by various members of the "Now and Again" discussion lists I belong to. No names or exact credits are mentioned since that took too much work on another page I did this list on. :)
- You freak out every time you see an egg breaking.
- You refuse to stand any closer than ten feet away from the edge of a
subway platform, and make sure there's no one standing behind you.
- You're watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the revelation that
there's a dorm at UC Sunnydale called "Weisman Hall" particularly strikes you (hey, it's pronounced the same).
- You tell people you have to make a pit stop in the "waste collection room."
- Any and all jokes about "the package" have been used to torture you
ever since you watched the pilot with a friend and made an observation
about it. (Today's was: "Gee, Mandi, why am I not surprised you've got
- You get back at her by humming "Close to You" while she's trying to
drop script during play rehearsals. (Of course, no one knew what the
hell we were laughing about...)
- You have to go to the bathroom with three other people.
- When you try running down the street chasing after a car for no apparent reason.
- ABC's promos of "Once and Again" get you excited until you realize it is not "Now and Again."
- You're going over the tape of "Over Easy" and freak when you realize
Heather's reading "Jane Eyre." You're in the stage adaptation this
semester, and immediately think there's some kind of psychic connection
- You've had "Groovin'" stuck in your head for two weeks running.
- You're loathe to try to convert your boyfriend only because he
might pick up on your EC crush and be insulted.
- All your pending fanfic ideas have been jilted by the flood of N&A
creativity demons that have been pestering you - even a surprisingly
praised Buffy fic that's up to 18 parts and almost at the end has been
- You SHOULD be studying for your American Novel midterm, but instead
you post this to the list.
- You feel the need to describe and defend the show to everyone you meet.
- Your brain says, "hhmmm..." whenever someone mentions the words, "I do that now and again."
- Saying, "Are you sure? It's a weekday!!" has become part of your vocabulary!
- Your favorite cartoon EVER has turned to MIGHTY MOUSE!!!! (MIGHTY MOUSE ROCKS!!!!!!!!)
- You add quotes and words from n&a into english papers and even
chemistry lab reports to supplement the lack of time to read N&A
webrings and watch taped episodes (I just got done with my paper and
write up, yea!!!!!)
- One week having to miss the show causes you to go into withdrawal.
- Your hall is having a secret gift exchange, and among other things on
your "wish list" is Eric Close. :)
- You are EXTREMELY proud of the fact that you've converted three of
your friends to N&A fans - and one of them you didn't even try to
- It pleases you even more to discover that one of these friends is
ecstatic about not having a Friday night class next semester just so she
can watch the show. (I supplied her with videos.)
- You're taking a dreary Health class, and whenever the professor goes
off about good nutrition and exercise, you have to restrain yourself
from bringing up Michael's diet.
- You mention the show to her when she mentions that men generally reach
their peak level of health at age 26 - hence Michael being physically 26.
- For the first time, someone has usurped the title of "the guy on
Mandi's door." (It's now EC; used to be an Aussie actor no one but me
- You hear John Goodman's voice on Burger King commercials and all you can
think is "Theo's gonna kill him if he finds out he's eating there..."
- You see someone you know smoking and whining in the hall and run for
it for fear she'll spontaneously combust and take you with her.
- You've started trying to lift heavy things with only one finger.
- You tape "Disco Inferno" and show it to your mother the next time
she complains about how nerve-wracking it was teaching you to drive.
- You sign up for a weekend trip to NYC, and your friends tease you
that you're probably going to spend the whole time trying to see if you
can't find where they're shooting N&A. The sad part is that you just
might do that.
- You're on your morning drive and find yourself between two Toys R Us
trucks and you suddenly get nervous, trying to make sure it's Toys R Us and
not Toys B Fun.
- Watching "Galaxy Quest," when Tim Allen starts snapping, "It's not
real! It's just a TV show! There is no ship!" you immediately mimic Theo
by replying, "There are no superheroes!"
- ...A friend of yours actually gets the joke.
- You search for MP3's of the songs you've heard on the show. Holly
Cole didn't turn up in a Napster search. :(
- You put a couple of grapes in the microwave to see how (in)accurate
"Disco Inferno" was.
- You start begging fanfic authors to post new parts to the N&A fic
list to the point where it really gets annoying.
- A David Duchovny fanatic is lamenting the X-Files' departure, and
your retort is: "Hey, at least you got to SEE Duchovny in the speedo!"
(Sorry, Scott, but this one had to be shared.)
- You see a couple of bees flying in strange patterns and seemingly
following you, and walk MUCH faster.
- Writing an English paper, you suddenly make a connection between Now
and Again and "Twelfth Night."
- To avoid working on papers, you devise an N&A drinking game to try
out on your tapes when you get a chance.
- Barnes & Noble is suddenly your make-out spot of choice, much to the
irritation of other patrons. (No, I haven't really gone THAT far.)
- You spend a couple hours discussing N&A crossovers you'd like to see
but would never have time to write on IM.
- Your options are: sleep, work on a term paper, or write an N&A list.
Guess which option you choose.